The liver is one of the organs that has greater importance in the correct functioning of our body. It has a fundamental role in a large number of processes in our body, such as in digestion, as it secretes bile and other compounds that help digest food. It also helps eliminate toxins, metabolize medications and alcohol and balance glucose and blood cholesterol levels.
Therefore, it is essential to keep the liver healthy so that our health does not suffer and the rest of our body can function properly. In the event that this organ is affected, as with fatty liver, it can mean, in the medium and long term, an imbalance in many of the functions of our body.
What is the fatty liver
There are two types of fatty liver:
- Alcoholic fatty liver
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver
This second pathology is divided in turn into: simple fatty liver, in which there is practically no inflammation of the cells and, therefore, there is no discomfort or symptoms at the moment and it is easier to reverse the alteration in the liver; and the complex fatty liver, in which signs of inflammation already exist, there are alterations in the different functions performed by this organ and a cirrhosis or even a tumor can develop in the liver.
What is boldo
Boldo is a tree that is found both in the countries of South America and in countries of the Mediterranean Coast. It is easily distinguished, since it is a tree of about two meters with white flowers.
The beneficial properties for health are mainly found in its oval-shaped leaves. Its effects have been known for centuries and that is why in most of the areas where it is present it was already used in ancient times as an infusion or tea to relieve the discomfort generated by the digestive system.
Healing properties of boldo
The benefits of tea or boldo infusion for the liver are produced thanks to the components that give it certain properties that help to combat this pathology. The boldo is, above all, rich in alkaloids and flavonoids, which give it certain beneficial properties for the liver:
- It has a choleretic effect: that is, it increases the production of bile, which causes digestions to be made more easily and, if this production had been reduced, it returns to normal levels.
- It has cholagogue effect: which means that it helps the expulsion of bile from the gallbladder. The swelling produced in a fatty liver can cause a blockage in the bile exit routes, which can cause serious problems in the liver.
- It has anti-inflammatory effect: taking into account that one of the most prominent symptoms of fatty liver is the swelling of the liver cells, boldo helps to reduce this inflammation, significantly improving liver function.
How to prepare a boldo infusion
To make an infusion or boldo tea for fatty liver, you need a teaspoon of boldo leaf extract for each 250 ml cup of water. The extract of boldo leaves can be found easily in any herbalist.
- Heat the water until it boils and add one teaspoon of the extract for every 250 ml of water you have poured.
- Let the boldo leaf extract integrate into the infusion for 20 minutes and then turn off the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Take it when it is still hot.
- If you find it too bitter you can add a teaspoon of honey or lemon juice.
How long can you take boldo
You can take one to three cups a day, always after meals, to facilitate digestion. This infusion is a complement to the treatment that you have prescribed by a doctor for fatty liver, as well as to a healthy diet and healthy habits.