Still do not know the herb of San Juan? Known scientifically with the name of “hypericum perforatum”, this plant is one of the most suitable to treat mild depressions thanks to its compound. But, in addition, it is also a natural remedy for other conditions, such as fighting pain or reducing mood swings. In this article, we are going to focus on how to treat depression with St. John’s wort so that you understand what its properties are and why it can help us overcome this emotional turmoil.
Steps to follow:
1. We begin by talking about how St. John’s wort can help us in depression. First of all we want to specify that this natural treatment is indicated for people suffering from a mild depression, that is, if your clinical picture is to be treated by a psychiatrist, this remedy will not do you any good. In the case where you suffer from a mild condition of this mental condition, St. John’s wort can help you improve your mood.
This plant contains different phytochemicals and nutrients that act in our body in different ways. The hypericin, the main component of this herb, acts as antibiotic but also is considered a natural antidepressant. The reason is that by taking St. John’s wort, the action of monoamine oxidase (MAOI) is inhibited and, therefore, it helps us in our mood and, also, gives us a tranquilizing effect.
This plant can be used as a substitute for antidepressant medications as long as we talk to our doctor first, since, as we have indicated, depending on the state of your disease, the remedy will be effective or not. But, in general, it is important that you know the advantages of this plant with respect to medicine:
- It contributes less side effects than conventional medication
- Stabilizes the nervous system making us more calm
- Get help to fall asleep and, therefore, avoid insomnia
- Does not alter sexual desire
2. To take advantage of the benefits of John’s wort for depression,you can prepare it by making an infusion or, if you prefer, in natural stores you will find capsules prepared with this plant and follow the instructions marked by the product’s prospectus or, in its defect, talk to the specialist who will indicate the recommended dosage.
- In case you want to prepare an infusion of St. John’s wortyou have two options: make an infusion with only St. John’s wort (that is, only the plant) or, if you prefer, you can mix it with other plants that will promote its antidepressant capacity. If you opt for the first option, you will only have to prepare an infusion with two tablespoons of flowers in water and drink a glass twice a day.
- But if you want an infusion with more antidepressant effect, add a little basilto your preparation. The reason is that this plant helps fight fatigue but, also, depression because it is considered a natural vitalize. Therefore, you will only have to mix the San Juan herb with a handful of basil and drink the infusion twice a day.
In case you prefer to take this plant in pills you have to bear in mind that, due to its side effects, the maximum amount that an adult person should take is 300 milligrams. Do not overdo these values because it could be harmful; later we tell you why.
3. In addition to depression, St. John’s wort is indicated to treat other conditions or health conditions thanks to its multiple properties. It can be good for internal use but also for external use because it can also help us fight wounds or injuries.
The topical use of St. John’s wort is indicated to cure ulcers, acne, eczema, etc. .; the reason is that it contains healing properties that helps to accelerate the healing of lesions in the dermis. But, also, it is ideal to be able to alleviate the blows or contusions since it acts as a natural anti-inflammatory that will help you to lower the swelling and to reduce the discomfort.
The internal use of the hypericum, that is to say, of this plant, is indicated to alleviate the muscular pains that can come derived from lumbalgia, arthritis, etc. The reason is that it acts as an analgesic that helps to calm the pain and make us feel better. But the most well-known use of this herb is its antidepressant effect.
4. Anyway, it is important that you know the contraindications of St. John’s wort because, although it is a natural alternative to antidepressant medications, its components are also discouraged to certain types of people and, before starting to take it, it is important that you go to the opinion of an expert who can advise you on the subject.
Some of the side effects of this medicinal plant are the following:
- Appearance of dizziness
- Gastrointestinal discomfort that causes pain in the belly and stomach
- Tiredness and / or drowsiness
- May cause photosensitivity
In addition, pregnant or lactating women, as well as children should not take this home remedy.