The flu is a respiratory infection caused by a virus which is easily spread and affects different areas of our body such as the nose, lungs and throat. Although it can be confused with a cold due to some of its symptoms, in the case of influenza occur much faster (between 2 and 3 days after infection). In addition, this infection is identified by its own signs such as high fever, dry cough, pain in the body and even nausea and vomiting.
Although it is recommended that during the condition you have absolute rest and take the medications assigned by the doctor, the symptoms of the flu can also improve with the use of some natural remedies. One of the most popular is the mixture of garlic and lemon, since both ingredients have excellent medicinal properties.
Properties of garlic to cure the flu
Garlic is a plant that is used as an ingredient for different food dishes, but it can also be used as a natural remedy for a wide variety of health problems. For example, there are great benefits of garlic ideal for treating diseases like this, which are specifically given thanks to the properties of garlic to treat the flu:
- Antibacterial properties:its richness in active principles such as allicin, make this vegetable a powerful natural antibiotic. Thanks to this, garlic can alleviate some of its symptoms such as high fever, chills and sore throat that can cause the flu. In addition, these properties eliminate the bacteria that may be causing this condition.
- Analgesic properties:the high content of essential oils and minerals, provide this plant with an analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect that helps us to alleviate other symptoms such as pains in the body and headaches.
- Expectorant properties:Thanks to this benefit, garlic is a good remedy to treat the flu because it reduces dry cough and other symptoms in the respiratory tract such as nasal congestion, secretions, sore throat and nausea that can cause accumulation of secretions in these pathways.
Benefits of lemon to treat flu
Lemon is a fruit rich in different nutrients very effective against influenza, such as flavonoids, vitamins C and B6, minerals (including calcium and magnesium) and some acids such as citrus. All these nutrients allow the following properties of the lemon to cure the flu:
- Expectorant properties:its richness in essential oils gives these benefits that relieve some flu symptoms such as cough, secretions and congestion in the nose and throat.
- Anti-flu properties:the lemon is rich in citric acid and flavonoids, which gives it antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-flu properties that fight the viruses that cause the flu. In addition, its habitual consumption also helps to prevent this type of viral infections.
- Diaphoretic properties:its high content of alpha pinene also helps relieve symptoms such as high fever and, consequently, chills because it regulates our body temperature because it helps us to sweat.
- Immune properties:the lemon increases the defenses of our immune system because it stimulates the production of white blood cells in our body.
How to cure the flu with garlic and lemon – very effective remedy
Now that we know both the properties of garlic and lemon, here’s how to cure the flu with garlic and lemon preparing this simple home remedy. To do this, you just have to gather these ingredients and follow the next step by step:
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 glass of water
Preparation and treatment
- First heat a glass of water in the microwave to boil it. Then let it cool.
- Now you will have to peel 6 cloves of garlic and cut it into pieces. Then add them to a glass blender together with the boiled water once it is cold.
- Then cut a lemon in two and squeeze both halves and pour the juice in the same container as water and garlic.
- Process everything until you get a kind of syrup.
- Store the brew in a glass or glass jar and take 3 tablespoons a dayuntil the symptoms improve.
Other recipes with lemon and garlic to fight the flu
In addition to the previous remedy, you can also try some of the following remedies that carry lemon and garlic:
- Lemon and onion syrup:this vegetable has excellent antibacterial and antiseptic properties, so onion is used a lot for cold, flu and other similar conditions. To prepare, peel an onion, cut it into slices and place them in a glass jar. Cover the slices with half a glass of honey and add the juice of two lemons. Let it rest for 1 day in a dark, cool place and when it is ready, take 3 tablespoons a day.
- Garlic and turmeric tea:this spice is a powerful anti-inflammatory so it is ideal for some symptoms such as headaches. To use turmeric with garlic to cure the flu, prepare an infusion by mixing a clove of garlic with boiled water and a half teaspoon of turmeric and, when ready, take it once a day.
- Drink garlic, lemon and apple cider vinegar:boil two cups of water and then add 4 cloves of crushed garlic, a tablespoon of vinegar and the juice of a lemon. Let the ingredients rest for a long time and then take a spoonful a day.