Snoring is a common ailment and occurs when something obstructs the flow of air that passes through the mouth and nose, and the sound is generated by the shock of the tissues of the respiratory tract. Snoring does not necessarily mean having a health problem, for this it is necessary to visit a doctor who can diagnose the cause of snoring and take the necessary measures. In any case, in a How we show you some home remedies to stop snoring
Causes of snoring
There are several reasons why snoring can occur and it does not necessarily have to be related to any problem in the respiratory tract, it also has to do with our daily habits. The possible causes of snoring are:
- Overweightis one of the main causes, since excess tissue presses the airways.
- Nasal congestion: either by colds, sinusitis or allergies that prevent us from breathing properly.
- Large tonsils: these make it difficult for the air to pass, causing vibrations that result in snoring when it circulates.
- Alcohol and tobacco: there are people who can only snore when they consume some of these substances or if they are being treated with a drug. These relax the muscles of the throat and make it difficult for the air to pass through.
- Nasal polyps: masses that are found in the sinuses and appear due to irritation or prolonged inflammation of the nose due to asthma, allergies or other infections. According to their size they can block the airways and make them snore.
- Muscle tone: the loss of muscle tone especially in the part of the neck and mouth, caused by overweight or aging, can cause snoring.
- Swelling of the palate or uvula: these disorders can make these areas longer, which makes it difficult for the air to pass through.
A change in sleeping habits and with respect to your diet in case of suffering from obesity will be essential to stop snoring, then we show you some healthy habits to stop snoring:
- Sleeping on the side: the upright position causes the tongue and palate to go behind the throat obstructing the passage of air. A home remedyto keep you on your side while you sleep is to sew a small ball in the back of your pajamas, when you try to stand on your back, the discomfort will lead you to sleep on your side again.
- Use more pillows: the idea is to keep the air duct open and avoid snoring. Place extra pillows on your neck and head.
- Leave the cigarette: this habit inflames and irritates the respiratory tract, which increases the risk of them becoming clogged.
- Low weight: if you suffer from obesity is advisable to visit a nutritionist so you can guide you in a healthy diet, this will not only help you stop snoring, but improve your quality of life.
- Relieves the acidity: this allows you’re breathing to be noisy and can produce snoring, as it interferes with the passage of air.
Infusions to stop snoring
Herbal medicines are also an option when treating snoring. Here are some other home remedies to stop snoring:
- Nettle tea: this wild plant will not only help you with snoring, it is also beneficial for overweight, since it has diuretic properties, and it will also benefit your digestion avoiding indigestion and acidity. Prepare a nettle tea with 2 tablespoons of dried leaves and 1 liter of water, drink it before meals.
- Peppermint or mint: this plant will help you with snoring that is related to respiratory conditions, since it provides softening properties to reduce the symptoms that accompany many of these diseases such as asthma or pharyngitis. You can use it in several ways, prepare an infusion with a teaspoon of dried mint and drink 2 cups a day, or gargle before going to sleep by adding a drop of peppermint essential oil to a glass of water. Do not swallow the water.
If you snore frequently, it is necessary that you visit a doctor so that you can discover the cause of why you snore and thus be able to have an adequate treatment. For now we give you other recommendations to keep in mind:
- Avoid the use of medications with sedative effect before sleep.
- Use nasal bands to help your breathing.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages three hours before going to bed
- Keep an exercise routine to delay the loss of muscle tone.
- Do not eat heavy, high-fat foods before going to sleep.